Drain Maintenance Treatment: How To, Guide
Drains are something that is not given proper importance, although they are used regularly in homes. But when a drain gets clogged, then it is a big issue and a lot of your chores get halted. At that time, many resorts to a plumber. This is preventable, by regularly doing Drain Maintenance Treatment.
How To Do An Effective Drain Maintenance Treatment:
Before doing drain maintenance, some other precautions are also a part of drain maintenance treatment. These precautions include:
- Let the drains do the work they are made for. Do not overburden a drain.
- Use a strainer as a drain lid.
- For Shower Drain do not bring your pets under a personal shower. They will shed many hairs. Also, try to comb your hair before the shower as well and pull the hairs that are clogged in the drain.
- For Toilet Drains: Try to make sure that you are not flushing any card boxes, bigger toilet paper, and sanitary or female health products.
- For Kitchen Drains: Kitchen drains are probably the most used drains in homes. Make sure that you are not putting any solid waste (Fruits, Seeds, Dough, etc.) in the drain. Also, avoid wasting eggshells, coffee grounds, medications, oil, and grease through the drains. You can put the extra fats or oils in a separate container and then, waste that in a dustbin. Do the same with coffee grounds.
Drain Maintenance Tools:
- A good-quality plunger is great for unclogging drains.
- A snake is also very useful in this regard.
- There are some other tools as well that may require expertise.
Frequent Drain Maintenance:
This drain maintenance treatment can be done every 5 to 10 days or every week. This is the treatment with hot water. The water should not be boiling as it creates a problem, especially on plastic pipes. Give a full flush through your drain and then, wait for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, again give a full flush down your drain. This will wipe all the fats or particles attached to the pipes.
Biweekly Drain Maintenance:
You can do this treatment after two to three weeks. This is done by using Vinegar, Baking Soda, and Hot Water. Mix 100 mL of vinegar with hot water. Put 100 grams of baking soda in the drain and then, after that, put the mixture of vinegar and hot water in it. Wait for some time or in the best case, overnight. Then, flush the drain. This not only cleans and makes the drain bacteria-free but also works as a drain freshener.
Bimonthly Drain Maintenance:
This drain maintenance treatment can be done every month or two. Enzymatic Drain Cleaners are used in this treatment. They are pretty much safe comparatively. These work slowly but are not very harmful to your health and the drain piping. Follow the instructions given properly.
This should not be done at all or in extreme clogging, otherwise. Chemical Drain Cleaners are used in this treatment. They are very strong and they can also cause corrosion of your drain pipes as well because they, usually, have caustic ingredients. Wear proper safety tools; Goggles, Gloves, Mask. Strictly follow the instructions written on the product label.
If things get out of hand, consider calling a plumber